Monday, June 7, 2010

Personal Review

From the moment I picked up The Glass Castle, I was enthralled by it. Up until that point I had never read a memoir that actually kept my interest for longer than thirty minutes. I found myself reading it because I wanted to, rather than just for the assignment. Jeannette Walls’ unique style of writing and her childlike perspective fascinated me and made it an addictive read. It’s become somewhat of a “phenomenon” in my house as my mother has decided to read it after the reviews I gave it. I really thought it was clever of Walls to separate the memoir by the significant places and/or events that occurred in her life. She wrote the piece beautifully, in my opinion, and it is evident in the way she allows the reader to feel and experience what she really went through growing up. You’re haunted by her memories, perfectly recounted for, both dark and happy alike.